Sunday, November 15, 2020

Tri For Kai- 15 year old Edition

To celebrate me turning 15 we signed up to do a triathlon! Today I raced the triathlon as MYSELF. I have always raced in the past with Mom and Dad, but they always signed up as themselves. Now I'm over 13 so I can sign up as ME and it's about ME finishing, not Mom or Dad. 

The tri was called Build the Base and it was a virtual race. So I had to "swim" 10 min,  bike 10 miles and run a 5k. For the swim we could also choose an alternate activity for 10 min. I had my family as my team to get me to the finish! So here are the highlights of our day...

First I did my alternate activity for the "swim"- I chose to walk- on my own. I used my gait trainer to support me as I walked for 10 minutes. 



After my 10 min walk Dad, Liam and I got on the bike and rode 10 miles. Luckily I have a portable electric blanket- it was a bit chilly on the trail.





We rode to Harwich and then came back to Chatham to meet Mom and Addy at Volunteer Park. Mom, Addy and I switched my racing chair for running and we headed toward the airport. We ran/walked about 1.5 miles and then turned back for the park. 

Dad and Ed met us just before the end and ran us into the finish! Liam and Addy held the finish line ribbon!









We finally got to use my Hoyt Running Chair to do an actual race! Hopefully this will be the first of many! We are looking forward to doing our annual Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning- even if it won't be the same as most years. 




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tri For Kai- 15 year old Edition

To celebrate me turning 15 we signed up to do a triathlon! Today I raced the triathlon as MYSELF. I have always raced in the past with Mom a...