Saturday, May 17, 2014

Don't Mess With Texas: Day 2

Our second day in Texas was an adventure that started with the taxi cab not picking us up in the morning. We had to be there at 5:30 and the shuttle from the hotel didn't run until later. Mom and I had to lug all of our luggage and my car seat to the light rail station. Luckily it was pretty close, and we were only a little late.

I didn't get to eat or drink anything before going so I was getting really hungry by 7:00! Luckily, my procedure started at 7:30. I went to sleep with some medicine and then they did an MRI of my head and a bone marrow harvest in my right hip. I was not a happy camper when I woke up, but it didn't take long for me to smile again.
Riding on a rolling bed, so exciting!
Out of MRI, not so happy :-(
We had to wait around until late afternoon for the stem cells to come back. The bone marrow was send to a special lab where it was separated and cleaned. The stem cells came back and then they put them in my IV. It took about 30 seconds!
Dr. Cox putting in 120,000,00 stem cells!
After that I had to be monitored for about 10 hours for any signs of infection. Mom and I played with toys, watched TV and read books. We tried to sleep at night, but I was having trouble. Then someone came in at 3am to do an x-ray! In the morning we played at the hospital until I was discharged around 4pm. We headed to the airport and flew home. We didn't get to our house until 3am. I slept a little, but mom was so tired!
Nurse Steve hung out with us ALL day to monitor my vitals
Child Life Playroom is so cool!
Now we just need to wait. If there are any changes they will be slow and gradual. We go back in 6 months for another evaluation. If I received the placebo, then in one year I will get to receive the treatment. Stay tuned!

Thanks to everyone for all of your love and support. We could not have gotten hear without you! We love all getting all of your comments and words of encouragement.

Love,
Kai XO

3 comments:

  1. Welcome home Kai and Stephanie! I love the updates and am so glad the trip went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you guys are awesome for doing this - brave and proactive! thank you for sharing your journey / spirit of optimism with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update-go Kai!!

    ReplyDelete

Tri For Kai- 15 year old Edition

To celebrate me turning 15 we signed up to do a triathlon! Today I raced the triathlon as MYSELF. I have always raced in the past with Mom a...